Disclaimer: The Sustainable Economies Law Center provides periodic updates to this site, however, information presented may be out of date. We encourage you consult with a professional before taking action based on the information here.
Greenhouses and Hoop Houses
- When is a building permit need for a greenhouse?
- Are there types of greenhouses that don’t require building permits, such as hoop houses?
- Is there a size limitation?
- What cities have adopted specific guidelines about this?
Animal Shelters and Chicken Coops
- When, if ever, are goat shelters and chicken coops considered buildings subject to building code?
- Do any cities provide guidelines on building codes or exemptions applicable to very small structures, or structures not meant to house humans?
- How far away must chicken coops be from residential buildings and property lines?
- What are the building code requirements for putting in a rooftop garden?
- Do you need a permit to put a few plants and trees on your roof?
- At what point does the size of the garden trigger the need for a permit?
- What’s involved in getting a permit?
What cities have adopted specific policies and guidelines
San Francisco Urban Agriculture Alliance’s guide to starting a garden or farm (for the section on rooftops, see p. 12-17)
- See some resources from Shareable here.